If you are looking for a list of free to play games like World of Warcraft then we have got you covered. WoW is the most popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game, or MMORPG, on the market today. The user simply controls an avatar either in 3rd or 1st person and they explore the landscape, fight various types of monsters, take part in and complete quests, and interact with non-player characters or other players within the game if they prefer.
This game has proven to be an amazing one except for one small detail. You must pay a subscription fee in order to participate in this truly eye catching MMORPG. This has pushed people like me to check out free alternative games in which there are plenty to choose from. Take a look below for a full list of games very similar to World of Warcraft’s style of game play.
Top Online Games Like World of Warcraft
This is a 3D massively multiplayer online role-playing game in which players take on the role of a wizardry student. The players main goal is to save Spiral which is the world in which Wizard 101 takes place. Players can participate in quests or hand to hand combat within the Wizard 101 world in which they can learn new spells and gain experience.
The main story behind the game is almost something like the Harry Potter movie. There is an old professor of the wizardry school that your character attends, whom is putting together evil plans of some sort. The story line simply involves you discovering and foiling this evil master’s plans by taking part in challenging adventures and helping others throughout the land.
Features of Wizard 101
- Turn based combat system
- As players progress, more worlds become available to them
- Player housing available
- Unique pet system
- Over 20 million players have already experienced the game of Wizard 101
Well you have all asked for more games like World of Warcraft and I think we have just the game for you to check out. The game is called Forsaken World and it is completely free to play online. Forsaken World is yet another installment in the Perfect World series and is quite amazing. It is a massively multiplayer online role playing game with very high quality graphics and tons of in game features. Perfect World opened in beta on March 09, 2011 and has since vastly improved in all aspects. Check out some of the features below and then try the game out for yourself!
Features of Forsaken World
- Wide variation of races and classes to choose from
- Many crafting options available
- Great player vs player system and options
- Very high quality and eye catching graphics
- Amazing skill effects
Fiesta is a 3D fantasy based massively multiplayer online role playing game and is also free to play. It has cute, cell-shaded, anime inspired graphics and the design is out of this world. As a player in Fiesta, you pretty much do what you do in all MMORPGs, which is customize a character and start exploring the world within the game. For the most part you simply battle evil enemies and go on quests to make your character stronger.
Like most other MMORPG’s there are only 4 starting classes with in this game but there are two job advancements for each class; the first at level 20 and the second at level 60. Fiesta is very easy to learn for it features an easy to use interface and tutorial videos for those that need them. It is largely based on a quest system to allow players to level up and earn unique rewards.
Features of Fiesta
- 4 starting classes with two job advancements at levels 20 and 60
- Attractive cell-shaded graphics and a solid item crafting system
- Four playable character classes
- Features quests and player vs player game combat
- Great graphics
Runes of Magic
This is a free massively multiplayer online role-playing game that was developed and launched in 2009. Players are placed in the fantasy world of Taborea where they can choose a character from 8 different classes. Runes of Magic allows its players to explore the world freely as well as go on quests and participate in player vs player combat. If you are looking for an awesome MMORPG that is completely free to play then this is definitely the one to check out. Runes of Magic was said to even be a clone to World of Warcraft and succeeded in doing so. This may be the closest to a game like WoW that you will get.
Features of Runes of Magic
- Ability to pick 3 classes for your character
- 112 different possible combinations of character classes
- Ability to obtain and raise magical pets
- New and unique marriage system
- Collectible “Monster Cards” which provide specific attribute points
- Features player vs player combat as well as the ability to go on adventures and quests
Conquer Online is a player vs player based massively multiplayer online role playing game a lot like World of Warcraft but with a design and look more like Diablo. It also features the unique auto walk feature making quests much easier and quicker finish in the game. Not only that, but Conquer Online has a ton of other game features that will truly blow your mind. You will have no problem getting into this MMORPG with its impressive skill animations and its vast amount of game play. Conquer Online is very fast paced and there are also tons of character classes to choose from. I could really go on and on about how fun it is but you have to check it out for yourself!
Features of Conquer Online
- Unique auto walk feature
- Very fast paced game play
- Tons of character classes and job advancements
- Very high level cap
- A lot of player vs player options
Rappelz is a visionary massively multiplayer online role playing game with a ton of great features. If you are looking for an alternative game to World of Warcraft, then one of your choices has got to be this. With its extraordinary graphics and design combined with its in depth systems and extensive quest play, Rappelz is making its way to the top of all MMORPG games. Not only will players enjoy the quest system and original content, but Rappelz’s pet system allows you to tame, raise and and even evolve your pets to suit them for battle right beside you. I could go on all day about how amazing Rappelz is and tell you about every single feature that the game provides, but I think you would enjoy checking that out for yourself. There is not much more to say about this amazing game besides that it is as close as you will get to top MMORPG’s and it is completely free to play.
Features of Rappelz
- Very extensive pet system implemented
- Battle creatures such as orcs and dragons
- Choose form 1 of 15 different character classes
- Very dynamic player vs player system
- Ability to own your very own dungeon
- Tons of in pet mounts
Luvinia is an anime style massively multiplayer online role playing game with graphics that will pull you in from the beginning. It plays like most all other MMORPG’s in the sense that players create a character and start exploring a vast world that the game has to offer, going on quests and solving mysterious in every city. Luvinia features one of the largest character class trees on the gaming market today and that is just one great feature about it. It has smooth game play with an easy to use interface as well.
Luvinia gets away from the same old boring environments that most MMORPGs support and features more odd and diverse environments. For instance, players can explore a space like world as well as a lava filled environment. Many players find such environments very refreshing and even sometimes more challenging. Luvinia definitely offers new and improved elements to the MMORPG type and is an exceptionally well developed game.
Features of Luvinia
- Bright and colorful out of this world graphics
- Extensive class selection for characters
- Fully customizable characters
- Tons of quests that can be done in towns and out
- Very much like Luvinia
Florensia is a 3D fantasy massively multiplayer online role playing game with an animated like look to it. The great feature of Florensia is that it can be played on land as well as at sea. The reason for being at sea is because this allows players to travel to different continents within the game world. Florensia has some of the best graphics I have ever seen and is definitely at the top of the list for MMORPG’s.
Features of Florensia
- Ability to play on land or at Sea
- The graphics are gorgeously animated and the non-player character art is out of this world
- Incredibly interesting and unique skill system
- Players get to own and customize their own ship within the game
- Unique quests including a 100 story tower to work your way up
Jade Dynasty is a 3D Asian based fantasy massively multiplayer online role playing game with a unique martial arts like theme. This is the third MMORPG published by Perfect World and may be the best. Much of the geography of the land and the mythical monsters in Jade Dynasty are based on ancient Chinese legend which gives it a unique and interesting feel.
Jade Dynasty truly shines in two aspects. It gets back to a more realistic graphic style unlike games such as ether saga online and its character progression system is awesome. Each character class/faction has a total of five skill trees each of which represent a different tier. Jade dynasty also features a great Esper or pet system allowing players to raise and train pets to assist them in battle.
Features of Jade Dynasty
- Unique auto walk feature making quests much easier
- Pet and marriage systems available
- Land based and flying mounts
- Daily events held
- Classless character progression system
- Nominated for 6 Reader’s Choice awards for 2011
So a new massively multiplayer online role playing game is trying to make it big in the market. It is called Rift and it is nothing short of amazing. The graphics are out of this world and the design alone was enough to get me addicted to this MMORPG. Rift is very much like World of Warcraft and has a lot of the same features. There is one big difference however, it is completely free to play! Rift is set in a fantasy world called Telara. Within this world, players can do virtually anything including battling massive dragons and going on deadly quests. It is a darker themed game and also has so much to offer its users. There are always updates going on to make Rift better and the support for it is continually growing! You need to play this game for it might ultimately become the top MMORPG out there.
Features of Rift
- Extensive character customization
- Tons of character classes to choose from
- Some of the best graphics and design on the market
- Great dynamic gamplay
- Just like World of Warcraft
Last Chaos is one of the most in depth massively multiplayer online role playing games out there and is completely free to play. It sticks to the original MMORPG style, but makes up for this originality with a ton of game content and features a very in depth skill system and high level cap. Last Chaos was one of the first games that Aeria published. If you don’t know, Aeria is the developer/publisher of games like Grand Fantasia and Eden Eternal. This means that Last Chaos is always being updated and added on to. It is a great long term MMORPG to check out because new quests and features are always being added. The graphics are solid and the gameplay is worth it.
Features of Last Chaos
- Very extensive skill system
- Variety of classes to choose from with 5 starting classes and more branched off from them
- Solid weapon/equipment crafting system
- Variety of pets and mounts to check out
- New features always being added and the game is continually being updated
Talisman is a fantasy based massively multiplayer online role playing game that uses an interface very similar to most other MMORPG’s. It brings you to a more oriental setting which is quite refreshing and it also has very detailed maps. Talisman features a ton of in game quests and challenges to complete and also has a unique auto-walking feature so that you do not have to keep clicking the screen to make your character walk. Even though character customization is limited within Talisman, the unique features it presents to its users make up for it. This game is an awesome online experience and if you are looking for an online game that stays away from the more animated graphic style, then this is definitely one you should try.
Features of Talisman
- Unique auto-walk feature that not many MMORPG’s have available
- 5 character classes to choose from including wizards, monks and assassins
- Awesome crafting skills available
- Ton of different Pet mounts
- Unique auction feature as well as personal shops
- Theme like the game Diablo
Grand Fantasia is an out of this world 3D fantasy based massively multiplayer online role playing game with amazing anime inspired graphics. It is also known by the name Dreamy Journey Online. With its brightly styled design and unique pet system, it is truly one that will keep you interested for hours. This is one of the highest quality MMORPG games you will play and has a number of features available to you.
The main game play behind Grand Fantasia is largely based on quest play as well as player vs player combat. The character creation system is also quite unique and very extensive with tons of elements to choose from. All players start out in the novice class within the game and pick a separate class upon reaching level 5 which makes Grand Fantasia fair for all users. While exploring the world within Grand Fantasia players can also gather resources and craft them into certain weapons and armor. This is a game like wow but with more animated graphics.
Features of Grand Fantasia
- Unique Pet System built in
- Choose your first class at level 5
- Impressive character creation and variety
- Offers more content than most MMORPGs
- Each class branches off into two job advancements
- PvP battles in a unique game arena
- Massive quantity of quests that will keep you engaged
Dragon Soul is mythical themed massively multiplayer online role playing game with amazing 3D graphics that are truly out of this world. It has a fantastically unique story line as well as close to 800 different quests to try your skills out in. The story is based on eight kingdoms who are working together to overthrow the existing alliance. Dragon Soul is an action packed MMORPG full of a ton of great features.
Features of Dragon Soul
- 160 exceptional and unique skills
- 5 different character classes all with customization capabilities
- Close to 800 different quests to fullfill
- Colorful and eye catching 3D graphics
- Player vs player combat as well as player vs environment
Sword 2 is a fairly new massively multiplayer online role-playing game and might be on the top of the list for MMORPGs that are free to play. With amazing graphics and tactical fantasy built in, Sword 2 will not be a disappointment when playing the game. It is based on the Europeans first exploring the Americas and surviving it! The best thing about Sword 2 is that players can control up up to 3 characters simultaneously.
Features of Sword 2
- Unique multi character control
- Dueling system and team player vs player battles
- Amazing barracks system that holds up to 9 characters
- Faction Wars game mode where individual clans fight to obtain and retain Colonies
Lord of the Rings Online
Lord of the Rings Online is a massively multiplayer online role playing game that can be played for free up to level 65. Immerse yourself in epic quests within Middle-earth while battling evil enemies and making your character more powerful each and every step of the way. It has beautiful in game graphics and is well worth checking out.
Features of Lord of the Rings Online
- Contains over 140 quests for players to complete
- Award winning re creation of middle earth graphics
- Fight for the dark side or the good side
- Unique character customization system with over 5 classes to choose from as well as secondary classes
Iris Online is a MMORPG developed by the same people that brought you Luna. It has a cute animated game look to it while still bringing you all the massively multiplayer online role playing game elements. Players progress through the game by defeating evil enemies and gaining experience and skill points. Iris Online has a variety of features the will keep you interested such as PvP battle zones and monster cards.
Features of Iris Online
- Ability to transform into monsters using tarot cards
- PvP battle zones allow up to fifteen players to battle against one other
- Unique Gypsy theme
- 5 character slots per server
- 6 starting classes and 3 playable races
Fly for Fun
Fly For Fun is a massively multiplayer online role playing game just like Fiesta or Luvinia with truly eye catching graphics and a stunning design. The one great feature of FLYFF is that the main source of travel is flying. Players can go from island to island, taking part in quests and gaining experience to make their character more powerful. With its cute anime style look and exceptional gameplay, FLYFF is one that you need to try!
Features of Fly For Fun
- Flying is the normal method of transportation for characters above level 20
- Level cap of 150
- Player vs Player combat available on all servers
- Unique guild dungeons available for guilds to raid
Angles Online is a 2D MMORPG that has a cute anime look to it. In short, players train an angel to ultimately become an Angel Protector that roams cities protecting them from evil. It has a huge selection of playable classes which is one of the top features in it. A great storyline and resource gathering for production are two things to look forward to in Angels Online.
Features of Angels Online
- 14 different classes available for characters each with 6 different skills
- Unique double class and skill system
- Can upload your own character
- Unique graphic style and design
Dungeons and Dragons
Dungeons & Dragons Online is a 3D fantasy based massively multiplayer online role playing game almost like a mix between World of Warcraft and Drakensang. It is a great mix between the games Diablo and Wow for it is an open ended role playing game with a strong bases on exploring dungeons while battling evil enemies. There are six races and eleven classes to choose your character from which is also part of a very detailed character creation process.
Features of Dungeons and Dragons
- Detailed character creation system
- Player vs Player duels and arena battles
- 11 classes to choose characters from as well as 6 races
- Real time combat system
If none of these games suit your needs you can always try playing Wow!
For more games like World of Warcraft check out our Runescape page!